|Location|| ||2550 ELMS CENTER RD|
North Charleston, SC 29406
|Employee Type|| ||PRN|
Nonexempt position responsible for performing a variety of duties depending on whether it is a small clinic, large medical practice, or a specialty office. May be involved in both the clinical and administrative areas including assisting physicians with patient care and handling clerical, environmental, and organizational tasks. Provides information to patients so they may fully utilize and benefit from the clinical services.
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned that may include checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure rooms; assisting patients as needed with walking transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.; collecting patient history; performing screenings per provider guidelines; assisting physicians/nurses with various procedures; charting; relaying instructions to patients/families; answering calls, and providing pertinent information.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned that may include sending/receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/X-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.; completing forms/requisitions as needed; scheduling appointments; verifying insurance coverage and patient demographics; managing and updating charts to ensure that information is complete and filed appropriately.
- Fulfills environmental responsibilities as assigned that may include setting up instruments, and equipment according to department protocols; cleaning exam/procedure rooms, instruments, and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control: cleaning sterilizer according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records; ordering, sorting, storing supplies; and restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned including respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergency codes; sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor.
- Fulfills clinical medical assisting responsibilities, which may include medical/surgical asepsis, sterilization, instrument wrapping and autoclaving; checking vital signs or mensuration’s; physical examination preparations; clinical pharmacology; drug administration through various routes including injections; prescription verifications with physician’s orders; minor surgery assists including surgical tray set-up pre/post surgical care, applying dressings, and suture removal; biohazard waste disposal and monitoring; therapeutic modalities; instructing patients with assistive devices, body mechanics and home care; laboratory procedures including Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines; quality control methods; CLIA-waived testing; capillary punctures and venipuncture’s; specimen handling such as urine, throat, vaginal, stool, and sputum; electrocardiography including mounting, emergency triage, and first aid. Medical assistants must adhere to the MA scope of practice in the laboratory.
- Take Direction and initiate actions (cross/additional training) that will allow the assumption of cross-functional duties to ensure seamless patient care.
- Consistently demonstrate ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary. Minimize non-productive time and fill slow periods with activities that will enable you to prepare to meet the future needs of the System (education, organizing, and housekeeping, assisting others). Organize job functions and work area to be able to effectively complete varied assignments within established time frames.
- Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information; responding to requests; building rapport; participating in team problem-solving methods.
- Other duties as assigned
- Education: GED or High School Diploma required
- Medical Assistant diploma from an accredited vocational institution, or a community college course in medical assisting.
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a clinical setting.
- Proficient PC skills including ECW and Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Licensure/Certification: Current Certified Medical Assistant Certificate required; AAMA certification is preferred
- Must possess a current CPR certification or in the process of completing certification.
- Attend required annual in service programs.
- Participate in continuing education activities.
Job Type: PRN
Education: High school or equivalent (Required)
License or certification: CMA (Required), CPR (Required)
Location: North Charleston, SC
About Palmetto Primary Care Physicians
Palmetto Primary Care Physicians (PPCP) is the largest independent multi-specialty group practice in South Carolina. The group is comprised of over 100 clinical providers with a wide range of expertise in primary and specialty care including endocrinology, gastroenterology, neurology, psychiatry, audiology and physical therapy. The company employs over 500 clinical and non-clinical staff throughout South Carolina and provides exceptional medical care for patients through 34 physician’s offices in ten counties.
PPCP has proudly served patients since 1996 and is known for their innovative patient centered delivery model. The group was among one of the first practices to nationally establish a successful Patient Centered Medical Home Program and the first in South Carolina. Today PPCP offers a wide range of services, including a state-of-the-art urgent care clinic, imaging, diagnostics and labs.
To learn more about PPCP, visit www.PalmettoPrimaryCare.com
- Offer 401K with generous company match